Welcome back to Strange Times & Places, where I’m repeating myself two weeks in a row because I straight up forgot that I was sitting on Infinity Countdown: Captain Marvel, waiting for the movie to come out.
How’s It Different?
It’s a series of For Want of Nail universes that Captain Marvel visits using the Reality Stone, questioning her life decisions up to that point.
What’s The Story?
I just described it. Individual universes are dealt with below.
Best of Differences
- A world where Rogue got even more from Ms. Marvel than she did in the mainstream universe, completely swapping powers and personalities with Carol Danvers when Carol grabbed her wrist and refused to let go. Carol is the angry Rogue, while Anna Marie protects the universe as Captain Marvel.
- A world where the pressure of being the world’s greatest hero in the House of M universe caused Carol to fall back into alcoholism (rather than stepping up first as Ms. Marvel and then as Captain Marvel), ultimately having her place in current continuity taken by Monica Rambeau.
- A world where Carol Danvers was bonded to Captain Mar-Vell instead of Rick Jones, ultimately switching places with him during his fateful battle with Nitro and getting cancer in his place. As such, the original Captain Marvel never dies, never retires, and Carol never gets her powers.
- A glimpse of the hero now called Shazam in Kree Captain Marvel colors.
Worst of Differences
- A world where Civil War II ended with Carol being put in a coma, rather than accidentally putting Tony in a coma. That’s one heckuva cop out, in as much as it doesn’t actually show she learned anything from the whole experience.
- You only a couple pages with each possible reality, leaving very little time for nuance or characterization. It’s like four issues of What If crammed into one comic.
Come Back Next Week for Your Regularly Scheduled Tokusatsu Gesundheit!